Media Hub My Account

Alterations to your home

If you are a tenant and want to make alterations or improvements to your home, you must have our permission before doing so. 

Examples where you'll need our permission before carrying out work (this list is not exhaustive)

  • Changing kitchen and bathroom units or layouts
  • Changing the services to your home, for example putting in a gas supply, adding electrical sockets or changing heaters
  • Putting in a new fireplace or altering an existing fireplace
  • Any structural alteration, such as knocking down a wall, putting up a false wall, removing a built-in cupboard
  • Installing double glazing or replacing a front door

How to ask for permission

Please write to us in the first instance regarding your plans. We will need full details of what you'd like to do. Once we have reviewed your request, we’ll either give you permission or let you know why you can’t make the changes.

We will let you make the changes if we are happy with the work that you have planned and the company you want to use to carry out the work.

We may also inspect the work once it's completed.

If you do not contact us before making alterations, we may ask you to change your home back to how it was before and you will need to cover the cost of this. 

It will be your responsibility to arrange for your local council to give you any required planning and building control approvals before starting work on certain improvements. 

Can I lay laminate or wooden flooring?

Laminate and wooden floor coverings can be a source of serious nuisance to other residents because they transfer noise easily to homes located below. You must have our permission to lay laminate or wooded flooring before doing so. Whether we give permission or not will depend on:

  1. your tenancy or lease and
  2. the type of home you live in.

When making our decision, we will consider the type of home you live in. We will usually give permission if you live in a house or a ground-floor flat. 

If you live in a flat above the ground floor, you will not be able to lay laminate flooring. 

We will also not give permission if you have an Assured Shorthold or Starter tenancy. 

If you lay laminate or wooden flooring without our permission, we may treat this as a breach of your tenancy or lease and ask you to remove it at your own expense.

Can I install a television aerial or satellite dish?

You must not interfere with the communal television, telephone and broadband systems. 
We are currently unable to provide permission for Sky or any third party company to install the Sky Q adapter or alter our communal aerial equipment due to ongoing issues our residents have had with poor signal. 

Satellite aerials

You must not erect your own satellite dish or television aerial. Our developments nearly always provide access to either Sky or Virgin Media via a communal system. 

If you wish to access satellite TV from another satellite (e.g. Hotbird or Turksat), please speak to the Sales Team to see if these satellites are included with the development's communal TV system. If they aren't, then you will be unable to watch the channels found on these satellite systems, unless you can access them via the Internet.