Media Hub My Account

Adapting your home

We understand that there may be reasons like health or age that could make staying in your home difficult. Adapted-bathroom.jpg

Our Aids and Adaptations service is available to all of our tenants, regardless of where they live. The service is funded through local authority grants and aims to make living in your home easier. 

What type of work does it cover?

The types of aids and adaptations work fall into two main groups:

minor adaptations such as: grab or hand rails; lever taps; door entry systems; flashing doorbells,
major adaptations such as: walk-in showers; hoists; ramps; stair lifts; widening doors

How is it funded?

We will pay for minor aids and adaptations under £1,000. For major adaptations, over £1,000, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant via the Local Authority, which will carry out an assessment of your finances before making a decision.

Here is a list of useful contact numbers if you need to speak with your Local Authority:

  • Barnet Council Social Services - 020 8359 5000
  • Brent Council Social Services - 020 8937 4300
  • Cambridgeshire Council Social Services - 0345 045 5202
  • Camden Council Social Services - 020 7974 4000
  • Enfield Council Social Services - 020 8379 1001
  • Essex Council Social Services - 0345 603 7630
  • Haringey Council Social Services - 020 8489 1400
  • Harrow Council Social Services - 020 8901 2680
  • Hertfordshire Council Social Services - 01438 844 344
  • Islington Council Social Services - 020 7527 2299

Other useful information

Disabled Facilities Grant Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) delivery: Guidance for local authorities in England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

How to apply?

If you would like to find out more about this service please fill in the form below, email enquiries@originhousing.org.uk or call our Customer Resolution Team on 0300 323 0550.