Media Hub My Account

Sheltered Plus

Sheltered Plus (3)

Sheltered Plus is a new service for older people provided at Speedwell House - a building with 25 self-contained, newly refurbished, studio flats arranged over four floors. 

Each flat has a separate bathroom with a walk-in wet room, kitchen and bed-sitting room. The block also has a lift, a communal lounge and a communal garden with some car parking. The Scheme Manager and night-time staff are located on-site.

Where is the scheme located?

Speedwell House is situated in the borough of Barnet, in Woodside Park, North Finchley, and is near the High Road, local shops and public transport.

You can view and search our schemes for older people on the Housing Care website.

How does Sheltered Plus differ from retirement housing?

If you are a Sheltered Plus tenant you will receive the same services as with retirement housing but with additional support, which includes:

  • night support staff on-site seven days a week, who can offer emergency assistance. For example, we can do regular, scheduled checks throughout the night to make sure that you are safe.
  • 24-hour emergency pull cord in every flat, to alert somebody when you need help
  • a Scheme Manager working during the day, Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm. The scheme manager will support you with any housing management duties such as tenancy issues.

Additionally, we will prepare a care plan based on your needs so that you can live independently in the community with other older people and avoid the need for a residential placement.

Who qualifies for Sheltered Plus?

To qualify you will need to be a Barnet resident, aged 60 or over or have a disability with assessed care needs.

People moving into Speedwell House Sheltered Plus service will be nominated by Barnet Council and allocation will be under bands one, two or three, according to need.

Do I have to pay?

You will be assessed by the financial assessment team, who will look into your finances and they will decide if you will need to contribute towards the cost of your care service. You may need to contribute some money. How much you pay will depend on your financial situation. Your social worker will go through this with you.

How do I apply?

If you want to be included in the scheme, you need to apply through Social Services at Barnet Council to be assessed.