The Government is making changes to the Welfare Benefits system and you may be affected.
From April 2013, some people will get less Housing Benefit than they did before and could struggle to pay their rent.
This could affect you:
If you have one or more spare bedrooms your housing benefit may be reduced. We think that about 300 of Origin’s households may be affected by this and have more bedrooms than they need. Many people don’t think they have too many bedrooms as they use all their rooms, for example when their children or grandchildren come to stay. However, the new rules will mean that you will have your Housing Benefit reduced but will still have to pay Origin your full rent and service charges. You will have to make up the difference from your earnings or benefits and this may be difficult.
To find out more read 'What you need to know about changes to housing benefit'
If you would like more information about lodgers visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/DG_4017804
FREE drop in advice sessions for Origin tenants
Where and when:
Drop in advice sessions will run from 10.30am till 4.30pm (No appointments necessary)
1st Monday of every month
2nd Monday of every month
3rd Monday of every month
4th Monday of every month
If you would like to read some summary information on specific benefit changes before you seek further advice, Camden Council have developed a series of downloadable leaflets.
These cover the following benefits and changes:
· Factsheet 1 - Where to go for advice (PDF)
· Factsheet 2 - Overview of benefit changes (PDF)
· Factsheet 3 - Total Benefits Cap (PDF)
· Factsheet 4 - Social Sector Size Criteria (spare bedroom tax) (PDF)
· Factsheet 5 - Council Tax Benefit changes (PDF)
· Factsheet 6 - Personal Independence Payments (PDF)
· Factsheet 7 - Universal Credit (PDF)
· Factsheet 8 - Employment Support Allowance (PDF)
· Factsheet 9 - Local Housing Allowance (PDF)
· Factsheet 10 - Taking in a lodger (PDF)
· Factsheet 11 - Non-dependents (PDF)
· Factsheet 12 - Local Social Fund (PDF)
You can also access them via the following link: http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/community-and-living/welfare-rights-and-benefits/benefit-changes-factsheets/
Origin Housing | Web Development by