Becoming a social housing tenant

Each year we build new homes and let our current housing stock as they become vacant.

Our vacant properties are allocated through a variety of ways: some are let to people nominated by the local authority, whilst others are offered to existing tenants who need a transfer.

A growing number of our properties are let through choice-based lettings. This is used for our properties within Camden, Barnet and Brent and we are looking to work with other local authorities to develop its use.

Below is a list of the different ways to rent a property from Origin and how to find out if you are eligible.

Social housing with Origin Housing

Social housing

What is general needs social housing?

General needs homes are available to people on the local authority waiting list. General needs social housing is distinct from retirement and supported housing.

How do I apply?

Origin Housing cannot accept direct applications for general needs social rented homes which are available at below-market rates. If you are interested in general needs social housing you should apply to the housing department at your local council, who will put you on their register.

Many local authorities have their own form of choice based lettings as well as nomination rights to vacancies that arise in local housing association properties such as Origin Housing. Council housing is allocated by your local authority.

To the right is a list of links to all of the local authority areas we operate in. Please contact your relevant council office for details on how to register for a home in your area. Please note: this could be a property provided by Origin Housing, another housing association, the local authority or another housing provider.

Retirement housing

What is retirement housing?

Often called sheltered housing, retirement housing is accommodation available at below-market rents and is specially designed to meet the needs of older people and provide comfort and security while prolonging independence. To qualify you must be 60 years old or over, or 55 years or over with support needs

Origin has dedicated retirement housing schemes in north London and Hertfordshire that provide:

  • Comfortable decorated and self contained interiors;
  • Individual door entry systems;
  • Large communal patios with garden furniture;
  • Communal lounges, laundries and guest rooms;
  • A dedicated scheme manager on-site;
  • 24 hour emergency alarm systems.
Retirement housing with Origin Housing

How do I apply?

Origin Housing only holds a waiting list for new applicants seeking retirement housing. We currently have an open waiting list for the following areas: Barnet, Stevenage.

If you would like to know more about accessing other types of housing, our Customer Service Advisors can advise you on accessing appropriate housing. Contact the Customer Services team for an application pack to join our waiting list on 0800 040 7989 (ask for Lettings).

Supported housing with Origin Housing

Supported housing

What is supported housing?

Supported housing is accommodation with additional support provided. This usually means small flats or rooms in a larger building, which has a staff office on site and a support worker available to help with day-to-day issues. Supported housing services are usually geared to people with specific needs such as learning disabilities or mental health problems. For further information on Origin's Supported housing schemes by area, need or specific scheme click here.

We cannot usually accept direct referrals for our supported housing services as in most cases referrals come from local councils or specified referral agencies. If you think you may be eligible to apply for this type of service please contact your local council.

Extra care housing with Origin Housing

Extra care housing

What is extra care housing?

Extra care housing gives older and frail people the chance to have a home of their own, by providing the option for 24 hour care. Care & Support services are currently provided by Shaw Healthcare with housing management and landlord services provided by Origin Housing, the property owner. To contact Shaw healthcare please call 0207 4494370.

Origin strives to maximise tenants' independence, and has become the first provider of 'extra care' in the north London borough of Camden.

How do I apply for extra care housing?

Contact the council social work team ‘access & support’ on 020 7974 4000 and select ‘adult social care’ when prompted. A social worker will then contact you to complete a 'comprehensive needs assessment'.

Translation help
In business for neighbourhoods logo Investors in people logo Positive about disability logo Building Research Housing Group HIA Quality Mark for Origin Housing in Camden and Islington Corgi gas safety Connected Partnership

Copyright © 2015 Origin Housing  |  Web Development by AccuWeb

Origin Housing Limited is registered in England & Wales as an exempt charity under the Industrial & Provident Societies Act 1965 (Registered No. 10008R) and with the Homes & Communities Agency (Registered No. L0871). Registered office: St Richard’s House, 110 Eversholt Street, London NW1 1BS.

Origin Housing 2 Limited is registered in England & Wales as an exempt charity under the Industrial & Provident Societies Act 1965 (Registered No. 31985R) and with the Homes & Communities Agency (Registered No. 4766). Registered office: St Richard’s House, 110 Eversholt Street, London NW1 1BS.